Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Milestones (01/26/11)

Saturday, this Saturday, Janet graduates from a class she has been taking for almost a year now, and I find myself utterly amazed; not because I didn’t think she could do it, in-fact quite the opposite. I have been her cheerleader for the last four years now, but I have also watched her self-sabotage success on every level and have been paralyzed to help her or understand the reasoning. Mitch and I learned early that anything we did to boost her self-esteem/self-worth/self-image, etc. would last for as long as we had her, and then either be immediately undone by her mother or somehow get turned against us.

So…. I hate to admit it, but part of me just knew when she signed up for this, that she would somehow let history repeat itself. Happily, this is one of those moments in life where you are very, very glad to be wrong in your assumptions.

Mitch and I are still at a loss on how to reach her or help her on many other levels, but for this moment, and for this weekend, we are both very, very proud of her. So, come Saturday I will be recording and photographing her wonderful accomplishment, and on Sunday, because of course we don’t get her the evening of the event… but I digress, that is an old rant or ours; so, Sunday we will get to treat her and the family to a dinner in her honor and present her with our little token of our pride, a necklace with a charm that speaks to the occasion and her accomplishment.

Now to find a restaurant that will embarrass her… you know something with lots of singing, possibly a hat she has to wear throughout dinner… oh yes, got to at least do something wild like that for her!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment