Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pounds of Pain


It hit me today on the stationary bike… I am shedding the pounds of pain.
In the last year of losses I have allowed myself to cushion the blows life was dealing me, with pudge.

I blamed my first miscarriage on my working-out, so I allowed myself to sleep-in instead. I also allowed myself an extra glass of wine because it could have been stress related too, and this does relax the mind and body after a tough day at work. I gave myself credit though, because I was optimistic and back to work a few days later; I gave myself credit because I had “picked myself up, dusted myself off, and I was starting all over again,” a few pound heavier, but I was starting all over again nonetheless.

With the second pregnancy I did everything I didn’t allow myself in the first one. I announced early, I painted the nursery, I bought a crib and changing table, and I enjoyed dessert whenever offered. We lost the baby on the forth of July. There were no fireworks that year, but there were a few vodka fueled nights. I had transformed our home gym (currently not in use) into the nursery, and was now living with that door firmly closed; allowing the desserts and the vodka fueled week to settle permanently onto my hips.

Then there was New Year’s… I was determined to return to some sort of normality, so I packed-up the nursery, restored the home gym and vowed to get back to the me I was prior to 2012. They say the best way to make God laugh is to make plans. Well sure enough come January 22nd we learn we are pregnant. Six weeks in, I am spotting and put on bed rest; six weeks after that, I am without child once more. My body, now in a sort of reverse metabolism from the bed rest, further nourished by more wine and a rainy spring, is now looking very rubenesque.

So, with the gym restored and questions on why I am unable to keep a pregnancy unanswered until the lab finishes their genetic research, I return to my cheap form of therapy – blood, sweat and tears. So there I am, panting away on the stationary bike when I hear it, the voice I hadn’t heard in a year; my mother’s voice to be exact. “Okay honey, you have had your time to wallow, now its time to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.” I almost fell off of the bike! But then I am hit with her other favorite, “why don’t you jump in the shower and then put on some make-up, It will make you feel better, I promise.” A mile later I realize how much I needed this and how in reality I was allowing myself to stay down, how I wasn’t truly picking myself back up.

So, here I sit, showered and make-up free, realizing that while I wait for the answers, I must dust myself off by shedding my pounds of pain…

2 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine the pain you have experienced. I will be lifting you up in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a journey, I am not gonna lie. But I have an amazing support system, both at home in my husband's arms and online with women like you. Thank you for your support and prayers. Hugs <3

      Delete